Spray drying is a method of rapidly drying a liquid or slurry into a dry powder with a hot gas. Many heat sensitive products, such as foods and medicines, favour this technique of drying. AlaquaInc is a spray dryer supplier for various industries such as food processing and pharmaceutical industries.
A spray dryer separates the solute or suspension as a solid and the solvent as a vapour from a liquid stream. In most cases, the material is gathered in a drum or cyclone. The liquid input stream is sprayed into a hot vapour stream and evaporated using a nozzle. As the liquid in the droplets evaporates, solids form. To maximise heat transmission and the rate of water vaporisation, a nozzle is frequently utilised to make the droplets as tiny as feasible. High-pressure single-fluid nozzles and two-fluid nozzles, with one fluid being the liquid to dry and the other being compressed gas, are the two primary types of nozzles.
When compared with other methods of drying, a spray dryer works faster than other methods of drying. The spray dryer can also turn a solution into a dried powder just through a single step that helps to improve the profit margins and makes the process more simple.
Spray drying is used in pharmaceutical production to produce Amorphous Solid Dispensation by evenly dispersing Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients into a polymer matrix. This condition causes the active chemicals (drug) to be in a greater level of energy, which enhances drug spice dispersion in the patient’s body.
How does Spray Dryer work?
The spray drying process consists of five key processes, regardless of the factory’s level of sophistication:
- Wet Process: The materials to be dried are in liquid condition prior to spray drying. The procedure before the spray drier seeks to prepare the materials in such a way that spray drying is achievable and yield is maximised.
- Atomization: It is vital to atomize the influx of liquid in extremely minute droplets in order to provide very quick drying. The exchange surface where humidity may escape the particles is greatly increased as a result.
Latest Blog: The Advantage of Mixed Salt Crystallizers in Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) Wastewater Treatment Systems
- Contact between the dry substance and the air: Dry air contacts the sprayed droplets, causing them to dry. By heating the air before it reaches the spray drying chamber, the ability of the air to absorb moisture and so dry the particles is boosted. It has a low relative humidity at the entrance and high relative humidity at the exit, as well as a lower temperature. Air can be blown to the product either co-currently from the top of the tower or counter-currently from the bottom. Counter-current is favoured in many processes, but for spray drying, co-current offers a major advantage: the air at the higher temperature touches the particles with the highest humidity first, sparing the particles from overheating.
- Drying: Drying occurs over the length of the spray drying chamber, following the movement of the solid particles inside. Moisture is gradually removed from the particle through a mass and heat transfer between the particle and the air.
- Solids Separation: It is vital to gather the particles once they have dried. Such separations are frequently carried out in cyclones, which may be outfitted with filters to improve their effectiveness. The powder is gathered in the spray dryer’s bottom and pneumatically delivered to a cyclone, where it is separated from the air. The air from the drying chamber is also directed to another cyclone, which separates any fines that may have been carried over by the air and returns them to the main product stream. Humid air is normally rejected, but because it is still hot, it can be utilised for pre-heating in specific cases.
We provide the latest technology evaporators, crystallizers, spray dryer, distillation system, solvent recovery systems, and heat exchangers. Contact us today to get amazing processing equipment for various industries.
You may also like:
Questions You Should Ask Your Processing Equipment Manufacturer